We are big fans of sea turtles, especially when we can see them in the ocean. We often see these beautiful creatures at Padang Bai, Tulamben and Nusa Penida here in Bali.
Here are our top ten facts about Turtles – how many did you already know?
Top 10 ‘Did you know…’
- Sea turtles live in warm seas throughout the world, but mainly found around the equator.
- That there are 294 different types of turtles? There are 11 different families, 7 of them are sea turtles.
- On the land turtles may not be the fastest, but underwater the turtle reaches a high speed.
- Turtles are reptiles, like crocodiles, lizards and dinosaurs. The turtles have been around already 200 million years.
- Reptiles are cold-blooded, meaning they have heat from the outside in order to keep themselves warm. For example by the sun.
- Turtles can be two hundred years! That are many birthdays…
- It’s nothing new, but we all know that they stabbing their heads into their shells when they feel threatened. This allows them to protect themselves against predators!
- Turtles lay their eggs in the sand, most of the time at tourist beaches. People have to change the eggs so that nothing happens with the eggs. A crazy fact about the eggs is that the temperature that prevails, affect the outcome of the
gender. At high temperatures it is a male, a female with cold temperatures.
- Turtles have a varied diet; they eat fish, squid, jellyfish and crustaceans. But turtles don’t have teeth but hard, sharp jaw edges to chew with.
- Even when they are sleeping, the turtles occasionally above water to breathe.
Maybe you have a new, interesting or funny fact for us about turtles we have never heard of? Let us know in the comments or send us an e-mail!
If you would like to book a dive trip to see these majestic sea creatures, send us an email.