Here are our top ten facts about Turtles – how many did you already know?
Top 10 ‘Did you know…’
- Sea turtles live in warm seas throughout the world, but mainly found around the equator.
- That there are 294 different types of turtles? There are 11 different families, 7 of them are sea turtles.
- On the land turtles may not be the fastest, but underwater the turtle reaches a high speed.
- Turtles are reptiles, like crocodiles, lizards and dinosaurs. The turtles have been around already 200 million years.
- Reptiles are cold-blooded, meaning they have heat from the outside in order to keep themselves warm. For example by the sun.
- Turtles can be two hundred years! That are many birthdays…
- It’s nothing new, but we all know that they stabbing their heads into their shells when they feel threatened. This allows them to protect themselves against predators!
- Turtles lay their eggs in the sand, most of the time at tourist beaches. People have to change the eggs so that nothing happens with the eggs. A crazy fact about the eggs is that the temperature that prevails, affect the outcome of the
gender. At high temperatures it is a male, a female with cold temperatures.
- Turtles have a varied diet; they eat fish, squid, jellyfish and crustaceans. But turtles don’t have teeth but hard, sharp jaw edges to chew with.
- Even when they are sleeping, the turtles occasionally above water to breathe.
Maybe you have a new, interesting or funny fact for us about turtles we have never heard of? Let us know in the comments or send us an e-mail!
If you would like to book a dive trip to see these majestic sea creatures, send us an email.